Sunday, August 31, 2008

Let's Take A Break



"Captain John Roach called today. Three times a day the bugle blows on base. Everyone stops what they are doing (in this case emptying the trash) to stand at attention and salute as the national anthem is played."

It's the weekend and so I would like to take a break.

It is really easy for me to want to stay home on the weekend. We are out in the country near Flaming Geyser State Park...on the side of the hill...with a view down the valley. Down below, our five acres of sandy loam (no rocks)supports a lush pasture.

But, up on top I was outside pulling up spent nasturtiums from a flower garden I designed this year. I was talking politics into the speakerphone with one hand and pulling vines with the other. This proves that a person can enjoy two hobbies at once (eating and watching TV doesn't count!)

Jim picked two quarts of wild blackberries down by the orchard and made jam. He pumps out several jars every other day.

I pulled out four giant tomatoes from the lug and made fantastic salsa. Add lime, garlic, onions, cilantro, salt, pepper...it was gone by the end of the day.

I talked with Dr. Reyes in Honduras today. She has agreed to staff a clinic that I am establishing near my other projects. She has found the land we need! More on that to come.

Mom called, she'll be here next weekend... Captain John (my penultimate)called...the air show is approaching...read my book...battled a few tough crosswords...and went through my pictures for you later on.

"Look! Come look!" Jim had the front door open. They had finally all shown up together.

Daddy, mama, and three not so "baby" raccoons ambled 10 feet out the front door and past the driveway. Even they feel the onset of fall. When you amble, like we all did today, it means summer is coming to an end.

No comments: