Sunday, October 5, 2008

Grandma Definately Had It Right

MY GRANDMA CALLED IT

Thirty-five years ago I read a letter-to-the editor written by my grandmother and published in the "San Diego Union Tribune." This was in the heat of the pro-life/pro-abortion debate.

Grandma was a modern day polemic. She had something published at least once a week and that was in the day that editors let citizens go back and forth with their own debates in the letters section.

Mostly, Grandma wrote about cutting taxes and reducing government spending. But, this day, she wrote about something that was private as far as I knew. Because, she never talked about social issues.

She wrote to the women who were choosing abortions. And, told them how she loved her three granddaughters. She told these young women (then my age) that they would be sorry and lonely in their old age if they opted to be childless. Hers was not a moral argument but rather one of understanding life's cycles.

TWO SOCCER GAMES, ONE FOOTBALL GAME, AND A CHEER LEADING SHOW

So, Saturday, Jim and I sat bundled up along the sidelines. The two eldest (9 and 7)of our ten grandchildren each played a soccer match and then during our grandson's football game his sister was cheer leading! We were cheering and watching our two young stars, sipping hot cocoa, and holding our umbrellas either from the wind or rain or both. It was musical games because each was at a different location. We treated to pizza at Farrelli's (my favorite) after the games.

My grandmother may have looked at this whole proposition as an investment. She was a successful business woman and from her vantage was relating her returns. But, me? I'm just glad I regarded Gloria, Bella, and Jane as wackos!

No comments: