Saturday, November 22, 2008

Better Butter Brownies....Stay Away From Trans Fat Says My Daughter

What would a blog written by a woman be if there wasn't a recipe!!!

I have a very health conscience family. One of my daughters-in-law is an Olympic athlete and watches her diet. Another daughter-in-law has a master's degree from the University of WA in dietetics. But, it was my daughter who taught me about evil trans fat.

The only brownies I eat must be homemade. NO box brownies for me! I am much more selective about what I eat to gain weight. I do have my standards. No sugar soda. No pastries. No straight butter. And, NO BOX BROWNIES.

However, my favorite "from scratch" recipe called for shortening (full of trans fat).

The definition of learning is: a change in behavior. And,I was pleased that with one simple explanation I changed my recipe for a better butter brownie batch. This shows I do learn...I do care...and I will do anything to please my wonderful daughter!!!

For a 9x13 pan...Here...In Time For the Holidays is:
Pam Roach's Relative Pleasing Better With Butter Brownies

1 cup butter
4 oz. unsweetened CHOCOLATE (Food of the Gods)
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. vanilla (the real stuff I get in Honduras is what I use)
salt to taste
1 1/2 c. white flour
1 cup nuts (let's understand how the nuts work. My family doesn't like them. So...I take their share and put the whole damn cup in my 1/4 of the pan.)

Bake in flour dusted buttered pan for 35 minutes (or so) at 350 degrees.
These things are so rich you have to buy an extra gallon of milk or you will run out.

And, God Bless America for it's liberal cocoa importation policy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will definately try this!