Thursday, January 8, 2009

Washington Awash In Runoff

The shear vastness of the merging flood plains is only comprehended by way of aerial photos. There is water....as far as the eyes can see.

I have toured flooding before. In the aftermath of the '07 storms I asked the WA State Farm Bureau for a farm tour. Dead cows were washed up along the Chehalis River, the waterlines in houses were higher than the refrigerators, and high ground neighbors helped shovel out 10 inches of silt from the homes of their valley friends.

This year, there is now even flooding on the high ground. It is so wet it floods without a river!

Our first responders are doing a great job. For out of state readers... this has been a flood of monumental proportions and has involved huge areas, many rivers, and thousands are displaced. There are many acts of heroism.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know I didn't get a lot of sleep the other night as a Nisqually River resident. The flood missed me by about 500 ft. I was up half the night sweating it.