Sunday, January 10, 2010

2010 Session Opens With Initiative Challenge To Democrats Who Will Vote In New Taxes...

At 10 AM Monday morning there will be a new Tim Eyman initiative filed at the Sec. of State's office. I will be there.

In the fall of 2007 I-960 was passed by the voters with a 52% "yes" vote. Among other things, the measure required that the legislature must have a 2/3rd majority vote to pass tax increases. After two years the legislature can change that law with a simple majority vote. They will do that this year.

Eyman wants to have the new initiative ready to go for the Nov. 2010 ballot. That will be a nice coupling with the Democrats running for reelection who voted in the taxes. The new initiative would reinstate the 2/3 vote requirement to raise taxes.

Voters in the 31st District voted "yes" with 57%. It took the Seattle votes to pull down the election results to 52%. Outside of the liberal hub the measure was a huge winner.

I will be voting "no" on the removal of the voter's mandate in I-960. I will not be voting for new taxes.

We need to concentrate our efforts on building the economy and bringing back JOBS.

(I asked Tim if he was going to wear a gorilla suit at the filing. "No, " he said. I think I will wear a suit and tie.) And, so it is folks. Everyone will push off the blocks on the same day.

No comments: